Thursday, November 17, 2011

When Food Is The Enemy

Hello,

This is my first time blogging, so I hope you all can bear with me.  Hopefully with time I will get better.  I have never thought of blogging until recently when my strong willed 10 year who is allergic to the world said to me "Mom, I just want to be like all the other kids".  Who knew that only ten words could hurt so much.  So after much consideration I decided to write something for him that he could have forever and hope that it helps other kids that may be like him.  Maybe another parent or child will read this and Kyle won't feel so alone with it. 

I'd like to start you all off with a little bit of information and add more as I go.  I will post our daily struggles, a story a day and I would like to end each blog with a recipe I use for my son.  I will list the lessons we learned along the way, the surprising things we had to eliminate, and the many products that pose a threat to a child with food allergies.  From having to quit our jobs to be able to be there for him when he needed us to the effects it had on my older daughter, I believe my story will touch your hearts and keep you looking every day for more,

My little boy, Kyle, is 10.  He is in 5th grade and smart as a whip (most likely from all the days spent reading with me since he couldn't go outside).  He is quite healthy despite his allergies.  Below please find the list of his food allergies.  As I list these foods please understand, he is not just intolerant to all these foods, he is anaphylactic. He has never had an ice cream cone or a hot dog, or ever been able to eat at a restaurant or go to a birthday party.   His first months of his life was a series of mishaps and hospital visits until they finally told us we had to stop trying to introduce any food but the special prescription formula he drank(neocate). 

Foods he is severely allergic to:

Milk
Eggs
Peanuts
Soybean
Beef
Chicken
Turkey
Pork
Lamb
Peach
Cashew
Crab
Tuna
Coconut
Peas
Oat
Sesame
Watermelon
Garlic
Lima Bean
Navy Bean
Yeast
Trout
Blueberry
Cherry
Olive
Raspberry
Vanilla
Cabbage
Grapefruit
Mustard
Rye
Kidney Bean
Mango

Non Food Allergies:

Latex
Ragweed
Dust
Cats
Mold
Feathers

Medication Allergies:

Advair (contains small traces of milk)
Sulfonamides
Penicillins
Cephalosporins
Zithromax

He has had severe reactions to all of the antiboitics we have given him with the exception of one.  It is extremely scary knowing if your child gets sick, the medication he may need he is allergic to!

I look forward to sharing our story with you and any question you may have, please don't hesitate to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment